Copa America in Argentina suspended over coronavirus surge by @NEWSVIEWSnmore - Post Details

Copa America in Argentina suspended over coronavirus surge

The South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) said on Monday (May 31) it would move next month's Copa America to Brazil, after original host nation Argentina pulled out at the last minute due to a surge in COVID-19 cases. The decision means the oldest international tournament in the world will kick off as planned on June 13, with the final on July 10. CONMEBOL on Sunday (May 30) announced Argentina would no longer host the tournament due to what it said was the "present circumstances." Perviously Argentina and Colombia were to act as joint hosts for the first time in the tournament's 105-year history. Colombia was removed as co-host on May 20 after a wave of protests demanding social and economic change spread across the country. "The 2021 Copa America will be played in Brazil!" CONMEBOL said in a statement. "The start and finish dates are confirmed. The host cities and the matches will be revealed by CONMEBOL in the coming hours." The announcement comes less than 24 hours after Argentina said its COVID-19 outbreak meant it could not longer host and despite the fact that Brazil is still fighting its own battle with the coronavirus. More than 450,000 people have died from COVID-19 in Brazil. Brazil has routinely reported the continent's highest case numbers and deaths, and ranks second highest in the world for both daily reported cases and deaths at present. Organizers had been reluctant to call the tournament off because of its importance financially. The last Copa America, held in Brazil in 2019, brought in $118 million in revenue.

Similar Posts!

Israel-Qatar first direct commercial flight takes football fans to World Cup
Israel-Qatar first direct commercial flight takes football fans to World Cup

ISRAELI FOOTBALL FANS AT AIRPORT AHEAD OF BOARDING FIRST DIRECT COMMERCIAL FLIGHT FROM ISRAEL TO ...